Bedtime For My Soul

It wasn't an invitation.  There was no pleading.

When it comes to needing rest for my soul, it seems I am just like my little grandchildren at bedtime.

When I am in the United States I am privileged to live with my son, daughter in law, and their four young children, six years and younger.  I have never heard a single one of them volunteering for bedtime.  Kids usually do not want to go to bed, no matter how tired they may be.  So, as a regular part of daily routine, my son picks them up, gathers them around him to read something, carries them to their bedroom and makes them go to bed for a night of rest.

"He makes me lie down ..."  (Psalm 23)

I wasn't paying much attention.  I was doing something I assumed was commendable.  Joseph, my 83 year old neighbor, had been sick for the past several weeks.  He passed away the day before.  Death is so common in Uganda where I live.  Having the resources to deal with it ... not so much.

Joseph with two students from the One Step Course
Earlier I had stopped at Joseph's home ... a bear essential really ... and spoken with his son.  I knew they were very poor and would need help with his father's burial.  A call to our administrator confirmed I could offer 150,000 Uganda shillings (about $40) to assist the family in purchasing a coffin.

I was hurrying to the NGM offices,located in the TransAfrica Plaza,  hoping to arrive before 1:00 PM, when the staff closes for lunch.  I hurried up two flights of stairs, just a few minutes before, signed a requisition, received the money, and hurried back down the stairs.  I was aware that I was winded by the time I reached our offices, but I was literally out of breath when I hurried back down the stairs and returned to the packing lot.  For nearly the next 30 minutes, I struggled to get breath.  When I stood to my feet I was light headed.  I had no idea that it was bedtime for my soul.

Susan, the medical manager for Next Generation Ministries, was in the village treating some wounds, but arrived an hour later to take my blood pressure, examine me, and convince me to let a doctor take a look at me that evening.  His examination resulted in a referral to the International Hospital Kampala the following day.

I ended up being given a full evaluation by the cardiologist at IHK, who confirmed that I had suffered a heart attack, and admitted me for the night.  He put me on medication and allowed me to go back to Jinja the following day.

Within the next two days, my kids had convinced me to return to the United States, changed my ticket for a flight on October 23, picked me at the airport in Portland, Oregon, and took me directly to Portland Adventist Hospital where I was assured of the resources readily available for heart surgery.

October 18, 2018, at 1 PM, God made me lie down with a heart attack.  The crisis I had with my body turned out to be one of the best things that has ever happened to my soul.


Human beings are integrated creatures.  There is a serious connection between the body, the soul, and the spirit.  I have learned that there is a significance difference between being busy and being in a hurry.  Most of us are busy because of the responsibilities we carry.  The world imposes hurry on our souls.  The symptoms of a hurried soul are

  • being preoccupied
  • unable to be fully present
  • an inner condition of the soul (as opposed to busy which is an outward condition)
  • spiritually drained
  • unavailable to God

No human being can rest in God with a hurried soul.  God's Son, Jesus, was often busy, but never in a hurry.  Our souls exist to integrate our lives so that we can live in harmony with God and the world.

With the sincere help of the NGM staff in Uganda, the USA Board of Directors, my family and a few close friends, I have been able to get a good night's rest (four weeks) and my soul feels refreshed.  It's a good beginning and I must take responsibility for the consistent care for the most important part of me now.

My cardiologist here in America has put me through the paces and I am grateful for the mercy the Lord has given me.  The condition of my physical heart can be managed with medication.  No surgery was necessary.  He has released me to a normal life and I return to Uganda on December 6th with Pam.

My condition of my soul is another matter.  The French writer, Blaise Pascal, wrote hundreds of years ago:  "I have discovered that all the unhappiness of men arises from one single fact, that they are unable to stay quietly in their own room."  The capacity to do nothing is actually evidence of a lot of spiritual growth according to John Ortberg in his book Soul Keeping.

Six days a week I have the privilege of wrestling with the world on behalf of the Kingdom of God expressed through the vision of NGM, changing Uganda one person at a time.  The seventh day must be when I must care for the seed of eternity planted in my soul.

Today, along with most Americans, I will celebrate Thanksgiving with almost three dozen family members.  For what am I most grateful?  God made me lie down.

Comments

  1. Blessed with 36! We will be spending today with Jubilee, Kevin, and our three delightful grand kids. Which, even with just three, translates into ...no rest!! Ha ha.
    Love to all,
    Mike and Jewel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blog Paul. I knew this heart attack was a gift to you as all of us need to be made to lie down. Unless we do, we miss out on the true rest and restoration only He provides. We miss out on the close encounter with Him that transforms, conforms and reforms our understanding and belief of who He is and how personally He loves us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy ... especially for all the years of support with your prayers and gentle and loving nudges to find that rest for my soul.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing. It’s good to know what you have been learning and what God is been doing with you. Can’t wait to receive you on December 6th. Love you to eternity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for writing this, Paul. So true what you say. There goes Jesus, again, not asking permission to enter our lives. Still, he knows what we need and loves us beyond what we can imagine and “makes us lie down.” We don’t get a vote. Still, kinda offensive to some of us “North American” Christians. Love you, Paul.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your comments here.