If Not Me, Then Who?

About 30 percent of the population is comprised of Muslims in Uganda.  It is not unusual to interact with them.  It seems many of them are involved in transportation or meat markets.

It was also not unusual for me to receive a call from a Muslim.  The voice on the other end of the call introduced himself as Mohammed. He told me he had a 3 year old daughter.  I was in the middle of a meeting when I took the call.  I used that conveniently to end the call.  I assumed that Mohammed was one more father looking for school fees.

The second call was patterned after the first.   "Hello?  This is Mohammed.  I stay in Iganga.  I have my three year old daughter here."  This time I did not have the same opportunity to end the call. Curiously I inquired, "How did you get my number?"

His answer kick started our journey together!
"I got your number from The Heart Institute at Mulogo Hospital in Kampala," he answered.

I was stunned.  For a moment, speechless.  I live in Jinja, and though I've been to several hospitals in Kampala, I have NEVER been to Mulogo Hospital and only heard about The Heart Institute. Maybe God was planning something exciting for me.  I asked him to come to visit me with his daughter.

This all started about five weeks ago.  Yesterday afternoon I stood behind Mohammed, his wife, Aisha who held their three year old daughter, as they watched a short video produced by the NGM Director of Media, Ezra.  They watched with fascination as they saw images of their daughter and them flash across the screen to the music of Audio Adrenaline.


For the next 10 minutes, Ezra explained to Amina's parents why he had chosen the song that accompanied the video.  The motivation for helping assist them in getting heart surgery for their daughter is the result of Jesus in our lives.  If we don't be Jesus to people, then who will?  They were very receptive as they began to understand there was no effort to convert them to a different religion or faith.  We simply want to show people the reality of Jesus.

The video was a media effort of Next Generation Ministries because we knew that soon we would be attempting to raise funds for Amina's heart surgery.  At the beginning we expected the surgery to be done abroad and cost as much as $10,000!  But, yesterday the good news came from Morning Star Foundation who are putting the logistical details together on our behalf.

Amina is a frail 3 year old, the first and only child of Mohammed and Aisha.  They are peasant farmers deep in the village with no financial resources for the most simple medical treatment.  How on earth are they going to be able to provide the critical need their daughter has for heart surgery to repair the hole in her heart?  This is where we come into the story.  We are the answer to this question.

Tuesday, December 9th, Amina will be registered with the Mulago Heart Institute as an out patient.  She will be examined by the heart surgeon in preparation for her surgery which will take place in another 10 days on December 19th!

THE GOOD NEWS??   The surgery and contingencies will require only $1,500!  NGM has already gathered $250.

The question for you this month is:  IF NOT YOU, THEN WHO?  Who will be Jesus to Amina to help express His heart to her parents and extended family?

Please send your donation of any size to Next Generation Ministries, 29940 South Dhooghe Road, Colton, OR 97017.

Progress updates will be given regularly as funds are donated.  LET THE COUNTDOWN BEGIN!

Comments